March 31, 2015
Palmar Hyperhidrosis

Last week in the Hartford airport I watched a TSA agent run some kind of swab over each palm of the man behind me in the security line — just a standard-issue sandy-haired young Anglo-Saxon type, no beard or weird skull cap. What was the agent looking for? Naturally I didn’t ask. Maybe he’d take it wrong, do a palm-swab on me just to show the wise guy to mind his own business. God knows what he might find. You don’t want to mess with the war on terror.

But just yesterday, in one of those incredible coincidences that could only happen in real life, I came across this possible answer on the internet:

Fidgeting, whistling, sweaty palms. Add one point each. Arrogance, a cold penetrating stare, and rigid posture, two points.

These are just a few of the suspicious signs that the Transportation Security Administration directs its officers to look out for — and score — in airport travelers, according to a confidential TSA document obtained exclusively by The Intercept

asweaty.jpg

Posted by Jerome Doolittle at March 31, 2015 02:48 PM

Comments

TSA providing "security" pantomime.
We are a beaten chastened society to put up w such useless arbitrary time consuming undignified nonsense.

Shut up, keep your head down & don't dare ask questions.
Useful training for building police states.

Posted by: Sean0 on March 31, 2015 5:29 PM

TSA providing "security" pantomime.

Shut up, keep your head down & don't dare ask questions.
Useful training for building police states.

Posted by: Sean0 on March 31, 2015 5:29 PM

Reminds me of the 1970s in Germany. You could easily spot a terrorist by looking at his/her car (rusted, coulourfully painted job) or at his/her clothing (ragged and filthy) or his hair (long).
What a surprise when they discovered that the real terrorists drove big BMWs, wore suit and tie and went to the hairdresser's! Just like them! What an affront!
Unfortunately the lower echelons of law enforcement never heard of these new insights and kept lookin for - me.
I still wear my hair long, but I've bought a washing machine since and hid the car in the garage. But please don't tell anybody or I'll never be able to travel to the US again. My palms are getting all sweaty from the thought alone.

Posted by: Peter on April 3, 2015 12:14 PM

TSA was swabbing for explosives residue. they've done it to me, while wearing a bsuiness suit.

Posted by: on April 6, 2015 11:17 AM

Far as I can tell, the TSA swabs for both. Presumably when you swab for none-existent explosive residue, you can at the same time become alerted to telltale sweat on the swabbed palms of nonterrorists. Or vice versa. Or something. Who knows what evil lurks in the palms of man?

Posted by: Jerry Doolittle on April 6, 2015 2:15 PM