November 27, 2012
Our Heroes

This story itself is interesting. But what I found even more interesting was the following exchange in the comments section between the columnist and an outraged patriot. Almost never do we see, even in the far left media, even a hint that The American Fighting Man is anything less than the brave, sacred and shamefully under-appreciated guardian of all that is good and holy in this the most wondrous nation ever to adorn Planet Earth.

Frank Zedar says:

Pierre — How edgy! How super cool! How über rebellious! It is your right to trash the freedoms that grant you the right to trash the freedoms… I’m OK with it… and I spent 20 years defending your right to be so hip!

Pierre Tristam says:

Frank, as is often the case, I don’t know what you’re inventing your points out of — in this case this notion that I’m trashing anything in this piece, other than my own profession’s innumerable dimwits.

In case you missed it, I find the original pledge quite graceful. Looking past your patronizing hip movements, I’m not sure how you’ve spent the last 20 years defending my rights any more ably than every teacher I know, or bus driver, or brick mason, or EMTs and firefighters, or (for all the dimwits) most of my colleagues have, or every single mother has, or even the occasional advisory council member manages to do: we’re all doing a job that more or less contributes to the safeguard of what we hope to be about.

You don’t have to don a military uniform and lose wars to protect anything. And of course you don’t have to die on a battlefield to do so… But if you’re somehow doing that tiresome thing of perhaps equating military service with defending “my” or anyone’s freedoms, particularly in the last 20 years (make that every year since Korea, actually), when our beautifully bloated military has done little more than serve as one of the many instruments of our diminishing freedoms and fast-approaching irrelevance… we may have a different argument on our hands, which, true to form given the absence of any military victory of note since 1945 (Grenada doesn’t count and Gulf War I was only the set-up of its disastrous sequel, unless you count protecting Saudi Arabia’s tyranny and Kuwait’s playboy sheikhdom as victories for freedom), neither stars nor stripes can win. Even those made in China.

aScreen-Shot-2012-11-27-at-3.02.41-PM-copy.jpg

Posted by Jerome Doolittle at November 27, 2012 03:22 PM

Comments

Freedom Isn't Free: Support Your Local Civil Rights Lawyer.

Posted by: Martha Bridegam on November 28, 2012 12:05 AM

Remember when Michael Dukakis was smeared as unpatriotic for supporting Jehovah's Witness children in not reciting the pledge? (A good man, with all the charisma of a Romney)

Posted by: JoyfulA on November 29, 2012 12:20 PM

Wat's de pledge, pliss? For us extraterrestrians? Hail Hitler?

Posted by: Peter on November 29, 2012 1:17 PM

Posted by: Martha Bridegam on November 30, 2012 2:05 AM

Our own happy little pocket of paradise recently had a fuss over the pledge. Some flag-wavers wanted the town selectmen and all assembled to recite it before they could get down to the far more patriotic business of fixing potholes. If they really want something sobering and evocative, there are appropriate sentiments in the preamble to the Declaration of Independence. That should set the right tone.

The pledge is fatuous and infantile in any of its forms and Bellamy was a fool. The cynicism he hoped to counter was a direct result of an oligarchic boot on the neck of the country. Remove the boot and you remove the problem, but that entails something more energetic than a maudlin incantation.

Posted by: Jim on December 1, 2012 9:15 AM

Probably no accident the Pledge is a subject of so many stories and jokes about children's garbling. See, e.g., http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1988-08-21/lifestyle/0060250076_1_pledge-of-allegiance-recital-i-pledge
"... According to one Orange County principal, some believe the last three words of the pledge are ''please be seated.''"

Posted by: Martha Bridegam on December 2, 2012 12:36 AM