April 13, 2012
Who Knew?

Every time I think wouldn’t it be nice if more young people voted, something like this comes along. (Thanks to young person Jason Shure for the link…)

atitanic2.jpg

Posted by Jerome Doolittle at April 13, 2012 09:16 AM

Comments

Television and movie culture.

One definition of insanity is not being able to tell reality from fantasy. One could also call it just lacking knowledge or being ignorant. In the world of politics it does have real consequences. I always think about the scenario where someone runs around screaming about some atrocity and the society labels him or her as insane or worse.

It makes me think of The White Rose group in Nazi Germany, Hans and Sophi Scholl and her friends and relatives, horrified at what was happening in and by Germany and many of its citizens and distributing leaflets at their University and their ultimate fate, not detention but death. These new bills coming up for vote about things like indefinite detention of American citizens scare the hell out of me.

Posted by: Buck on April 13, 2012 12:07 PM

Is it too much to hope for that at least some of them might be being ironic? Probably. I remember when Schindler's List came out, there were people who seemed never to have heard of the Holocaust before, and some of them were like, "oh, you have to see this movie; it's about this terrible thing that happened!"

Posted by: Tim on April 13, 2012 12:49 PM

Probably isn't taught in the schools. If it were, the kids would know it by heart.

Posted by: Pluma Lashley on April 14, 2012 2:09 PM

Dumb bags of hair.

Posted by: HarpoSnarx on April 15, 2012 5:57 PM

It can make one despair for the species.

From what I can see, schools don't teach much at all. All anyone knows is pop culture. Unforunately, it's not limited to the USA:

On the upside, I don't think it's a sign of things getting worse. The average Joe has been largely uninformed for millenia.

Posted by: John Anthony Curran on April 15, 2012 11:08 PM