March 18, 2010
The Sports Page

I don’t blame you for wondering what happened yesterday when Hill-Murray School met Annandale. Well, according to the St. Paul papers, “Hill-Murray pulled away from Annandale in the second half this afternoon to claim a 66-44 victory in the Class AAA state girls quarterfinals at Williams Arena. Center Bethany Doolittle led Hill-Murray with 18 points. The 6-foot-4 junior scored six points during a 17-4 run by the Pioneers early in the second half.”

Bethany is the one hanging onto the ball, below. Today’s game, half an hour from now, will be against currently undefeated DeLaSalle. I’ll keep you posted. Why? Because this is my blog and she’s my granddaughter.

Addendum: DeLaSalle went into the game having beaten every other opponent this season by an average of 31 points. They went out on the short end of a 61-48 tally, as we scribes say. The Hill-Murray Pioneers thus advance to the state finals on Saturday. I'll keep on keeping you posted, sports fans.

Bethany1.jpg

Posted by Jerome Doolittle at March 18, 2010 12:37 PM

Comments

Neat! Paul's watching March Madness. I'll follow
Hill-Murray's progress. Good luck Bethany!

Posted by: Judy Bock on March 18, 2010 4:08 PM

Amazingly enough (to me, anyway) video of the Minnesota girls' BB tournament is being live-streamed. Requires registration, but is free. The final game is Saturday if I'm reading the schedule right (but better check the actual site). Her team is the Hill-Murray School. Details here:

Posted by: Jerry Doolittle on March 18, 2010 5:10 PM

I think some of the folks out there might appreciate a link to Bethany's egg-balancing trick.

This kid is well-rounded.

Posted by: ted on March 18, 2010 11:54 PM

I know I posted the egg-balancing photos, but damned if I can find the link. Sorry. To paint the picture in words, however: Bethany can balance a dozen eggs on their ends on a granite counter-top. Don't remember if it was the small or the big ends, but either way you and I can't do it.

Posted by: Jerry Doolittle on March 19, 2010 10:06 AM

More power to you! Supporting a granddaughter is a noble enterprise!

Posted by: John Gall on March 19, 2010 8:03 PM