September 08, 2009
Youíre Not the Boss of My Attitudes

Any more of this crypto-fascist indoctrination from the control freak in the White House and Iím voting for Ron Paul next time:

But at the end of the day, the circumstances of your life Ė what you look like, where you come from, how much money you have, what youíve got going on at home ó thatís no excuse for neglecting your homework or having a bad attitude. Thatís no excuse for talking back to your teacher, or cutting class, or dropping out of school.

pecks.jpg

Posted by Jerome Doolittle at September 08, 2009 03:02 PM

Comments

Maybe the teabaggers are right to keep their kids at home. This is absolute utter dogshit. If Obama really believes that race, ethnicity, economic status, and family dysfunction have nothing to do with scholastic achievement, he's as dumb as Bush. If he thinks kids who are victims of racism, systemic economic exploitation and emotional (at least) abuse should keep quiet, then he needs to go live in the sharecropper shack where he would be now if others had not had that "bad attitude".

Posted by: Charles D on September 8, 2009 6:32 PM

And what's wrong with talking back to the teacher when he or she is just flat our wrong? I used to do it by using one of my homework assignments: use a word in a sentence. I was always able to come up with something by using the word in the sentence to tell our teacher, Roberta Black off about something and never got called out about it as I was careful, although she did thereafter put me on the "black row" which benefited me greatly. My mother was horrified at the racism of that town since she grew up in the city so I wasn't ashamed as Roberta thought I would surely be.

Roberta was an ardent racist and during "freedom of choice" the blacks had no choice but to sit on one row because she assigned them to sit there. She made a point to call those kids "nigras", which was supposed to be "negroes" but was slurred so as to sound almost exactly like the n word would. That whole row was directly in front of Robert such that she couldn't see past the first child on the row (big Afros helped) , who was a black girl who just happened to be the smartest kid in the class named Alicia Isaac. And Alicia liked to share her knowledge by doing her homework (and tests) in class and passing down the answers to the rest of the row. I was therefore able to get all my homework done in time for the end of school so I would have plenty of time to get my paper route done. So Obama never had to deal with a Roberta Black or he would know better than to give the kids such foolish advice.

At least I wasn't one of the kids who brought gasoline to school to put in Roberta Black's fish bowl to kill all the fish. That woman was universally hated by the whole class. A class prior to ours even called up the school and sent the message that Roberta's husband was dead. I heard she left bawling but was pissed as hell but didn't know who to be mad at later.

And I believe the whole thing stemmed from Roberta not getting a teaching position at the air-conditioned high school. The newly built school had been given to the minorities to try to head off integration so we were in the school built in the early 1900's but I never remember the heat bothering me at all. But Roberta was another thing altogether. It's funny after the fact but it wasn't so much fun then.

Shame on you Obama. Let them talk back.

Posted by: Buck on September 9, 2009 6:52 AM

No big deal - just like many other vanilla pep talks that kids have been exposed to in the past and will be in future. The kids don't mind - they get to skip one of their mindless classes. I did notice one item: ". . .a member of our military? Youíre going to need a good education for every single one of those careers." When did the military start requiring an education to join?

Posted by: John Gall on September 9, 2009 1:50 PM

I had a copy of that book, which I sold a couple of months ago.

Posted by: Joyful Alternative on September 11, 2009 12:11 AM

John Gall, I kid you not on this: the modern military can be choosy about who the recruiters will accept. They can and do get recruits who have all the fundamentals needed for some pretty sophisticated additional education. Keeping them is another story, and retention gets difficult when the military is embroiled in an imperial fiasco.

Here's a thorough look,