August 28, 2009
De Lawd Made Me Do It

I say it without the slightest shame: I can’t get enough of the Jaycee Lee Dugard kidnapping story. As usual in these sorts of things, the Daily Mail of London has the best coverage: aerial photographs, police reconstructions of how the 11-year-old victim would look like in her twenties, interviews with the kidnapper’s father and brother. Go here and read every word. You know you want to.

The jailhouse interview with Phillip Garrido struck me as particularly bizarre. I kept flashing on George W. Bush, not over the sex stuff (Bush gives no impression at all of sexuality), but because of the use both men make of religion as an enabling tool that allows them to go ahead and do absolutely any sick thing they damn well feel like. And history will show the world that they and God were right all along.

You’ve been listening to the Good Lord channeling Bush for eight years. Here’s Garrido for a change. A distinction, as the lawyers say, without a difference:

“Wait until you hear the story of what took place at this house … You're going to be completely impressed.”

“In the end, this is going to be a powerful, heartwarming story. My life has been straightened out.”

“The Creator has given me the ability to speak in the tongue of angels in order to provide a wake up call that will in time include the salvation of the entire world.”

Garrido.jpg

Posted by Jerome Doolittle at August 28, 2009 04:30 PM

Comments

Bush gives no impression at all of sexuality

I wonder if he's gay. That's not based on anything in particular. But if you plug that in, and consider the level of repression that would entail in that particular family, then the self-destructive behavior starts to fall into place.

Again, just an "I wonder." It'd almost be enough to make me feel sorry for him, though.

Almost.

Posted by: Roddy McCorley on August 28, 2009 6:39 PM

This is crazy, to believe that the search stopped and she was alive accepting the fact that people gave up on her...damn.

Posted by: Thomas Jones on August 29, 2009 12:47 AM

Not only Bush but many Republicans. Vitner, Sanford, particularly the C street crowd, the Oklahoma Senators, the list goes on and on and on. Where's Woody Guthrie and Will Rogers when we need them?

Posted by: Buck on August 29, 2009 5:59 AM

"I wonder if he's gay." HOw about, I wonder if he's got a little black in him. He's definitely religious, so it would be safe to throw in a little homophobia and racism too, don't you think?

Posted by: knowdoubt on August 29, 2009 7:53 AM

Too bad the guy wasn't growing pot in the backyard. The cops surely would have turned the place upside down and found her.

Posted by: ohollern on August 29, 2009 1:46 PM

If the man was gay, why would he have abducted a little girl and fathered two children with her? Seems to me he'd have been out looking for a little boy. I think this is a lot like the
Elizabeth Smart case, except it took only nine months to find her
instead of 18 years. But in the Smart case, the wife of the
abductor was involved in it also.

One thing that just boggles me is that the wives of these men
were involved, although to what degree they were completely
under the control of their husbands psychologically, isn't clear.

I'm guessing that at some point after Jaycee's abduction, that
phenomenon known as the "Stockholm Syndrome" kicked in because
she claimed to be his wife, and gave a different name. What a
tragedy for that family. The step-father under suspicion for all
those years, the marriage breaking down, the grief of the mother
and other family members, and a little girl taken from her family
and held in such cruel circumstances.

Posted by: Cranky Daze on August 29, 2009 9:31 PM