April 25, 2009
Which of the Two is More Evil? Choose From Two Monsters.

Orrin Hatch or Jay Bybee? Explain your answer in detail.

More at The Real News

Posted by Buck Batard at April 25, 2009 04:23 PM

Comments

Well, in this instance, clearly the answer is Jay Bybee. Orrin Hatch may be presumed to have been unaware of the memos at the time that Bybee was confirmed.

That said, asking him to resign is fine, but much too weak. I think Scott Horton's notion that a prosecutor might decline to bring charges against Bybee and that this would be understandable, I think is unfortunate. Even impeachment is not sufficient, nor does it seem straightforward if Bybee is not at least to be indicted.

Posted by: Mahakal on April 26, 2009 6:16 AM

Mahakal, take some time to watch C-Span. You don't have to have a TV to watch it now, just a fast internet connection. Orrin Hatch talks about what a fine man or woman every conservative monster that comes up for confirmation is. He was slobbering similarly over that monstrous attorney General Gonzalez. If my memory were better I could name you more than a hundred other conservatives with serious flaws that he's praised beyond reason.

I think he may have played a role in the Clarence Thomas confirmation (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Orrin Hatch is an enabler of a whole cadre of Jay Bybees. There are more Jay Bybees out there, if not guilty of the crime of torture, guilty of something else similarly sickening and damaging to the United States. We just don't know about their sins yet or they engaged in them once confirmed. Hatch has been heaping approbations on Monsters since the early days of Reagan. He practiced law for some time in Pittsburgh and whether he has any ties to Richard Mellon Scaife is unknown. But both, like Scaife is, are the kinds of guys who need to live in rent by the hour motels, not just visit them occasionally. Bybee was willing to sell himself out for money, power or by kissing ass to get ahead. Hatch was an enabler of hundreds, not just of one little Eichmann, and has been around for decades, so he gets my vote for the most evil.

(with apologies to the decent people who live in rent by the hour motels.

Posted by: Buck on April 26, 2009 6:48 AM

I don't disagree with you, Buck. Orin Hatch is a pestilence.

Posted by: Mahakal on April 27, 2009 12:44 PM

By the way, I'm from Pittsburgh. I'm glad not to live there anymore. But I'd rather live just about anywhere more than Utah.

Posted by: Mahakal on April 27, 2009 12:45 PM

I listened to Arlen Spector today defend the torturers, their enablers, and suggest that they their names and faces being plastered on MSM was punishment enough. I would like to recommend Arlen as somewhere in between or possibly equal to Orin Hatch.

Posted by: knowdoubt on April 27, 2009 4:53 PM

"(with apologies to the decent people who live in rent by the hour motels.)"

Thank you, Buck. Not so many places you'd find a kindly caveat like that.

Posted by: Martha Bridegam on April 28, 2009 12:18 AM