April 28, 2009
Specter Reads the Writing on the Wall

This will be all over the news, of course, but I can’t resist putting it up. Fascinating and truly, truly important. Heute Specter, Morgen die Franken, as Hitler used to say. Well, something like that anyway.

WASHINGTON (CNN) — Veteran Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter told colleagues Tuesday that he switched from the Republican to the Democratic Party, Sen. Harry Reid says.

The Specter party switch would give Democrats a filibuster-proof Senate majority of 60 seats if Al Franken holds his current lead in the disputed Minnesota Senate race.

“Since my election in 1980, as part of the Reagan Big Tent, the Republican Party has moved far to the right,” Specter said in a statement posted by his office on PoliticsPA.com.

“Last year, more than 200,000 Republicans in Pennsylvania changed their registration to become Democrats. I now find my political philosophy more in line with Democrats than Republicans.”

MeneMene.jpg

Posted by Jerome Doolittle at April 28, 2009 01:49 PM

Comments

What do you bet Holy Joe Lieberman flip-flops too. What would you call that? A flip-flip-flop? A re-flip-flop? Anyway, the hawsers of the good ship GOP are going to be full of rats pretty soon. Welcome aboard, guys and gals.

Posted by: Red Tide on April 28, 2009 2:23 PM

Who-da thunk it?

Posted by: Cranky Daze on April 28, 2009 2:41 PM

Pennsylvania has closed primaries, and Specter barely won his last one. With 300,000 Republican voters flipping in the last two years, he didn't stand a chance next year. And if he did, he couldn't win the general, which he's done in the past with full union support that he can't now get. So an 80-year-old who's had cancer twice has made the only move possible to keep his job.

Thanks to Ed Rendell (and probably Chuck Schumer again), Pennsylvania will have two Dino senators. No doubt the usual moneybags are lined up, and any primary contender will have to resort to bake sales. (Our state campaign finance laws are as permissive as our lobbyist laws, reported to be the loosest in the nation.)

Posted by: Joyful Alternative on April 28, 2009 3:01 PM

Hi,

Can you tell me what the webdingy 3 that you use at the bottom of your posts means or says?

Thank you very much!

heart

Posted by: heart on April 28, 2009 5:19 PM

I can and I can't, Heart. I designed the site back in 2002, I think. As you found out from the source page, the little ornament was from a font called Webding 3, which I no longer have on my Mac. Bitmap? True Type? I don't remember. Whatever it was, it probably wouldn't have rendered correctly on most browsers back then. So I made a little blue JPEG of the symbol and used that. As far as I know the symbol is purely decorative and means nothing, although I'd be delighted to find out otherwise. Maybe it means teabag in Mandarin or in some obscure Republican dialect.

Posted by: Jerry Doolittle on April 28, 2009 7:43 PM