February 03, 2009
Eggplant?

You didn’t expect me to keep this one all to myself, did you?

SYDNEY – An Australian traveler was caught with two live pigeons stuffed in his pants following a trip to the Middle East, customs officials said Tuesday. The 23-year-old man was searched after authorities discovered two eggs in a vitamin container in his luggage, said Richard Janeczko, national investigations manager for the Customs Service

They found the pigeons wrapped in padded envelopes and held to each of the man's legs with a pair of tights, according to a statement released by the agency. Officials also seized seeds in his money belt and an undeclared eggplant…

pgeons.jpg

Posted by Jerome Doolittle at February 03, 2009 07:08 PM

Comments

WTF? and last, but not least, God, what legs! I nominate those legs for something, help me out here.

Posted by: knowdoubt on February 3, 2009 7:16 PM

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. This is the best story
I've heard in a long time. For sheer all-our weirdness.
Wait, what ?

Posted by: beth on February 4, 2009 9:39 AM

My father used to work for the Department of Agriculture, teaching people how to inspect at ports of entry. One of his friends who worked the San Diego/Tijuana border told the story of the woman who tried to smuggle in two parakeets in her bra cups. They noticed her breasts were moving oddly.

Posted by: Lenora on February 4, 2009 11:10 AM

This is actually fairly common, according to some academic book I copyedited, or some crime fiction I read, or some dream I had. That part of the world, particularly New Guinea, has rare and very endangered species of birds, reptiles, and flowers that are highly prized by collectors and thus valuable. Smuggling efforts are ingenious and nonstop.

Posted by: Joyful Alternative on February 5, 2009 9:34 AM

Wonderful change from hearing about the war on drugs. I guess the Aussies are still kinda snakebit over the bunny rabbit thing.

Posted by: John Gall on February 7, 2009 2:10 PM