November 16, 2008
The Hole in the Shoe Gang

It belatedly occurs to me that most people probably missed the historical reference in the previous picture I put up, since the average citizen wasnít even born when the hole in Adlai Stevensonís shoe became national news.

It happened on Labor Day of 1952, when a newspaper cameraman in Flint, Michigan, took the picture below. Stevenson supporters around the country began wearing silver lapel pins of the sole with the hole, and the photographer won a Pulitzer prize. Stevenson himself, however, won only nine states in the election two months later, and went on to be plowed under yet again by President Eisenhower in 1956.

Adlaishoe.jpg

Posted by Jerome Doolittle at November 16, 2008 10:43 PM

Comments

Stevenson was too smart to be President. You can't get away with responding to the praise that your speech would bring all thinking Americans to your side by saying, But I need a majority. It's true, but it loses. You have to pretend to be anti-intellectual, as the semi-divine Richard Hofstadter pointed out at length.

Posted by: Chuck Dupree on November 16, 2008 10:53 PM

No, we caught it.

Posted by: Chris on November 16, 2008 11:34 PM

Me, too. This is my first look at the actual picture of the hole in Stevenson's shoe--I had thought it was more like the feet-on-the-desk Obama picture--but I certainly heard of it enough times.

And Stevenson was also divorced, which wasn't OK until it was Reagan, and the Democrats would have nominated Ike if he'd decided he was one of them rather than a Republican. (Nobody knew, including him, which he was. At least according to what I've heard.)

Posted by: Joyful Alternative on November 17, 2008 1:16 AM

Looks like those have new heels too. Frugality has a liberal slant too: Ever heard of "cat's paw" heels? The top selling brand.

Posted by: Buck on November 17, 2008 7:44 AM

And Eisenhower campaigned with bumper stickers showing a shoe with a hole in the sole saying "Don't let this happen to you!".

Posted by: Jim on November 17, 2008 6:16 PM