November 05, 2008
I Was Right on Obama, But Wrong on Me

First I want to remind everyone once again that I predicted in May, 2007, that Obama would be elected.

However, I admit that I was wrong about who I would vote for. I’m probably gonna regret it soon, maybe even tomorrow, but it was glorious coming home on BART tonight.

San Francisco’s African-American population has dropped in percentage terms in recent years, but the neighborhood I live in is still largely black and Hispanic. Here, fireworks are going off. A black man about 70 was sitting by the BART door with a smile. A white guy in his thirties shook his hand out the way out, and I don’t think they’d even been talking. He and I exchanged smiles, both of us with teary eyes. A Hispanic kid about college age asked if I’d voted, and when I said yes, he asked, “Obama?” I said yes, and we talked about which states had been called.

San Francisco is happy today. I hope I didn’t do something I’ll be sorry for.

But hey, it can’t be that much worse than learning that you’re infatuated with someone who’s unavailable because of gender preference. I did that today, too. God, I love San Francisco.

Posted by Chuck Dupree at November 05, 2008 12:13 AM

Comments

You did good, as far as I'm concerned. And don't sweat the relationship stuff, you'll find someone right for you.

Posted by: Mahakal on November 5, 2008 12:59 AM

you absolutely did the right thing.

i am going to sleep tonight knowing that after january 19, i won't have to be worrying about that damned red button.

thank you, america, and congratulations.

Posted by: karen marie on November 5, 2008 2:14 AM

Goddamn Prop 8 though -- that was the California anti-marriage measure. I'm in Las Vegas tonight after a week of pollwatching and canvassing here, wondering if I should have stayed home to fight Prop. 8. I think Obama's CA margin was actually narrower than in Nevada. Someone at the after-party here said the first sign of worry about Prop. 8 was lack of lines at San Francisco and West Hollywood polling places. I thought San Franciscans' early voting might account for it, but apparently not.

Voter rights legal operation here was *tight*, though. Several of us who worked Election Protection in 2004 agreed there was no comparison. Organization works better when you're led by an organizer.

Forty years of stupid evil shit is halfway over. At last the left has been allowed back into the Democratic Party and there will be smart people in the White House who owe something to the American working class. At the Nevada party they played Springsteen's "Born to Run." It was perfect.

More later when compos mentis.

Posted by: Martha Bridegam on November 5, 2008 2:45 AM

If the left is actually allowed back into the Democratic Party, I'll feel good about my vote. I'd call it about 9-1 against.

Posted by: Chuck Dupree on November 5, 2008 3:07 AM

OK, maybe that was the sunburn talking last night, but Obama won by letting loose the abilities of marginalized but able organizers and activists and intellectuals who in a decent world would have been too busy to work on a campaign.

And the big "prospects for the economy" prediction on CNN just now is that Obama will support a bill allowing easier unionization. The Clintons never would have touched a union bill like that. Obama owes a whole lot to unions and not that much to the likes of Tyson Foods.

Posted by: Martha Bridegam on November 5, 2008 10:53 AM

Well, I slept through all the announcements last night. I had signed up to be a poll watcher and sat inside the polls for five hours yesterday and was very tired after yesterday. Fortunately I can happily report that I saw no one turned away. I was somewhat fearful that there might actually be problems, and indeed the lines were long, but fortunately sanity reigned yesterday.

Posted by: Buck on November 5, 2008 12:23 PM

Now we're gonna have Rahm as chief of staff, and Podesta in there somewhere. Pretty soon we'll be hearing Rubin for Treasury, Dennis Ross for the Middle East, paeans to Petraeus, and so on…

Posted by: Chuck Dupree on November 5, 2008 7:51 PM

Rahm, goddammit, I hear now he was one of the big "welfare reform" pushers in the Clinton White House. Please let Obama owe poor people too much this time to fuck them over too obviously...

Posted by: Martha Bridegam on November 6, 2008 1:22 AM

Rahm --- aargghh!

What a Charlie Brown/Lucy moment.

Posted by: on November 6, 2008 9:57 AM

Lucy's scam is only tricky if you weren't paying attention the first time.

Posted by: Chuck Dupree on November 7, 2008 1:23 AM