September 27, 2008
Voting for the Nigger

This is the best political news Ive heard all year, maybe even forever. A friend of mine was taking a cab in Cleveland last week. The driver went on and on about the economy no jobs, low wages, medical bills, gas prices, foreclosures. At last he said, You know what, fuck it! Im voting for the nigger.

Posted by Jerome Doolittle at September 27, 2008 09:56 AM

Comments

Funny. The LA Times quoted a likely voter saying almost the same thing when Jesse Jackson ran in '88. Minus the profanity.

Me, I'm hoping I live long enouh to see the third African-American elected president. I figure by then we'll have stopped talking about him (her?) in terms of race at all.

(sigh)

Posted by: Roddy McColey on September 27, 2008 11:29 AM

I just hope that Obama dosn't get the blame for Bush's financial crisis. That could set back many of the gains blacks have made.

It's funny though. I used to hear that word down south much more than I do know when I'm visiting back home. It's largely become something that is only used by crude and uneducated people. Although the coded jokes still continue even among the "elite" white country club crowd.

But as a white redneck from South Carolinian, born in Charleston and raised in rural counties I can say this: I'm voting for the gentleman of color in this election.

And that old cabdriver may be crude, but he's coming around. If Obama is successful and makes moves to fix many of our problems, a great deal of crude hatred that we have in this country will disappear.

But I do know that in many small communities in the South, uneducated whites hate blacks and uneducated blacks hate Whites. Many of the blacks have good reasons for their hatred -the Whites have none but the crime rate and the drugs, which exists in both communities, but largely in African American ones because they have smaller chances at good employment, but it's not helpful to the African American community to allow that hatred to continue and they need to try to clean the crime problem up. I know many of them are working on it. The drugs are the major problem that cause all the crime. If we could just interdict them before they get here it would be wonderful.

Courtesy and kind and generous treatment in the spirit of that radical reformer who died on a cross at age 33 years many decades ago can really work wonders. As Martin Luther King lived his life.

Although I'm not a believer in any religion except in a great spirit which is far beyond our capability of understanding.

These are problems that needs to be fixed. Obama can make it happen.

Posted by: Buck on September 27, 2008 11:42 AM

to hardcore republican-identifiers, a democratic presidential candidate is a nigger regardless of their actual skin color.

and i'm glad there's some dialing back of the crazy-wheel -- the course we've been on has some seriously ugly potential, beyond a bunch of rich guys losing their lunch money and a bunch of working saps' lives made a good deal uglier.

speaking of which ...

david letterman showed a clip of george bush at a townhall meeting, sitting on a low stage with an "average walmart shopper." the woman was describing a problem with her tv and that after the tv repair guy looked at it he told her to call the cable company and ...

the woman was completely wrapped up in telling this story about what the picture looked like (black with white lines dancing) and how she had to do this and then do that and ...

george bush looked bored and annoyed. i can well imagine he was bored and annoyed. george bush has never been forced by circumstance to involve himself in the daily grinding minutiae of life that that woman and most of the rest of us deal with every minute of our lives. i could identify with her, because i have been there.

did the woman seem a bit ridiculous, with that frumpy body and those cheap clothes, telling an innocuous story? sure she did. she obviously doesn't go to the gym or eat an athlete's diet. and she buys clothes in her price range. we all have things in common with her. and the story is innocuous. the story she was telling happens every day, in different permutations, several million times.

what those hardcore republican-identifiers hopefully are beginning to understand is that republicans are not at all interested in your problems with your tv or what a pain in the ass it is to deal with all the crap we all have to deal with on a day-to-day basis just to keep it together, and god forbid you actually get sick.

george bush's boredom and irritation is a graphic illustration of the boredom and irritation that the republican party has with the 95% deadenders.

let's hope enough of the 95% deadenders recognize that in november and vote democratic.

Posted by: karen marie on September 27, 2008 11:47 AM

That is reassuring news. Up until now, I've heard just the opposite. But after last night, we'll see.

Posted by: ohollern on September 27, 2008 1:30 PM

All people who still talk of "niggers" ought to be on the receiving end of racism sometime.

I'm a born Venezuelan, but if I travel there, I'm considered a "Gringo" on first sight, because I'm rather pale and blonde. Gringos are hated there.

And once when I travelled through Dominica (not to be confused with the Domican Republic) a little girl spit at my feet just because I was white.

It's an experience which makes you think - if you're able to.

Posted by: Peter on September 27, 2008 1:51 PM

A friend who occasionally comments here says she was surprised to learn that a gun-loving, heavily tattooed, 30ish rural neighbor is an Obama supporter who can't imagine why anyone would vote for McCain.

Posted by: Joyful Alternative on September 27, 2008 8:17 PM

Like we used to say in the 60's:

"I don't care why people resist the draft - just so they do."

It's called being result-oriented.

Posted by: Vigilante on September 29, 2008 10:31 AM

Nope - The best way to remove race from this election, is to literally not care about whether Obama is 1/2 black and 1/2 white, and McCain is white. Really, is doesn't and shouldn't matter.

I care more about fiscal responsibility, tax legislation, political reform.

Posted by: Jay on September 29, 2008 10:51 AM