February 02, 2008
Mark Ye, The Best Candidate

If I weren’t already committed to voting for Edwards, I’d seriously consider writing in Mr. Twain.

The rumor that I buried a dead aunt under my grapevine was correct. The vine needed fertilizing, my aunt had to be buried, and I dedicated her to this high purpose. Does that unfit me for the Presidency?

The Constitution of our country does not say so. No other citizen was ever considered unworthy of this office because he enriched his grapevines with his dead relatives. Why should I be selected as the first victim of an absurd prejudice?

Why indeed?

And for those of us still harboring pretensions to writing, his advice remains as valuable as Strunk’s.

Substitute damn every time you’re inclined to write very; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.

MarkTwain-sweater.jpg

Posted by Chuck Dupree at February 02, 2008 11:19 AM

Comments

Who are you and how did you get into my head?

Just kidding - I am a die-hard Edwards supporter and a lifelong Twain aadmirer as well.Thank you so much for stopping by Hooterville and giving me a great new blog to read!

Posted by: Alicia Morgan on February 2, 2008 11:31 AM

I'm going to mark this post as one of my all time favorite posts of all time. And the picture is just classic.

Great post, Chuck.

Posted by: Grandpa Moses on February 2, 2008 5:09 PM

Yes, I've always liked the work of Mark Twain. He had some great thoughts!

Posted by: oldwhitelady on February 3, 2008 5:02 PM

Chuck,

Can Edwards still win delegates on Feb 5, even though he has suspended his campaign?

Posted by: Craig Nelson on February 3, 2008 5:04 PM

Craig, shystee over at Corrente has been investigating this:

It appears that there are two questions. First, no one gets any delegates unless they get at least 15% of the votes cast; that much is clear. Second, it's not clear whether Edwards would get delegates even if he got 15%, since he's suspended his campaign, but it seems likely that if he reaches the threshold he would get delegates.

Thus it's an open question whether a vote for Edwards would even be counted. I guess I'll find out. I'm not voting for anyone who wants to spend more on the military and increase the size of the military, who believes there's such a thing as the War on Terror, etc. Dream Ticket? That's one that doesn't include Clinton or Obama.

Posted by: Chuck Dupree on February 4, 2008 1:22 AM

Thanks for looking. I read the Democratic National Party rules and couldn't find anything about ignoring votes if a candidate withdraws before the primary. Hope your Edwards vote counts toward a delegate. It probably will.

Posted by: Craig Nelson on February 4, 2008 3:39 AM