April 02, 2007
Straight Talk from a Student of History

Here is Bush’s would-be heir, Senator John McCain, after discovering last week how safe the streets of Baghdad are:

The presidential hopeful says he feels certain that it is the right thing to have the main surge of troops in Baghdad.

“I study warfare. I’m a student of history. If you control the capital city of a nation you have a significant advantage,” McCain said.

On May 7, 1954, France surrendered in Indochina following nine bloody years of warfare. On that date, French troops still occupied Hanoi, the capital city of North Vietnam.

hug.jpg

Posted by Jerome Doolittle at April 02, 2007 03:50 PM

Comments

Looks like a turtle forced to hug a chimp. Except that turtles don't have flop sweat on their face.

Posted by: Fast Eddie on April 3, 2007 6:06 PM

A significant advantage? Oh come on, Senator. Whatever "significant advantage" that might provide is far, far, outweighed by the significant disadvantage that comes from the majority of Iraqis thinking attacks on our soldiers are justified. Nice blog by the way.

Posted by: Arlen on April 4, 2007 12:52 AM

Jerry, but that's very recent history, I mean the French in Hanoi in 1954. You are asking too much of the poor guy.
As he admitted, he's still only a student. I guess at the moment he's stuck at Thermopylae with King Leonidas and his 300 Spartans.
My, we lost *that* battle against the Iranians, or Persians, as they used to call themselves then, the cunning bastards - but what heroism!
Hermann Göring compared the battle of Stalingrad to the Thermopylae in 1943. And we know the outcome of that one.
What a pleasure to go down fighting! Viva la muerte!

Posted by: Peter on April 4, 2007 1:06 PM

I do long-distance diagnosis, like Dr. Frist. Here goes, Peter: George Bush, like Terry Schiavo, is not brain-dead. Also like her, he does not seek death. Instead of a death wish, he has a failure wish. He may cause others to die, but he does not himself wish to die. He wishes to continue failing for at least as long as his father lives, knowing from long and successful experience with the strategy that his own failure is the best way to cause the old bastard the worst pain.

I differ from Dr. Frist in one respect, though. My diagnosis is correct.

Posted by: Jerry Doolittle on April 4, 2007 6:41 PM

Yes Jerry, that's a sound diagnosis, I should say.
I wasn't talking about Junior Bush, though, but the would-be McCain, this avid student of warfare and history.
Of course he has no death wish either, but he's the type who likes to instill it in others.
Not that we were thinking about creating our own suicide bombers, no, Sir!
Or are we?
“Would you think it unreasonable if I ordered you to fly your aircraft into the ground in order to destroy a vehicle carrying a Taliban or al-Qaeda commander?”
Vice Marshal David Walker of the RAF suggested that.
One of his pilots replied: "After you, Sir!"
So there seems to be some brains left, but I guess an empty head always gives enough buoyancy to float to the top.

Posted by: Peter on April 5, 2007 6:49 AM

Obviously you meant McCain. What was I thinking? Maybe when I saw the words "poor guy" my head kicked into Bush mode. But he's not a poor guy, either in the financial sense or in the to-be-pitied sense.

Posted by: Jerry Doolittle on April 5, 2007 10:21 AM