February 15, 2007
Coward Is as Coward Does

Bill Maher won my heart and mind right after 9/11 when he got fired for pointing out that you could call suicide bombers a lot of things but you couldn’t call them, as Bush just had, cowards. Maher didn’t add, and so I will, that the word coward better describes a draft dodger who would fly hysterically from one bolt hole to another on 9/11 instead of heading straight to New York where his duty lay.

All of which leads circuitously to last night’s airing by HBO of a Bill Maher special dating from 2000, during the middle of the campaign that landed us in the hideous mess we are in today.

What did I learn from this stroll down memory lane with America’s premier and certainly funniest political commentator? I learned that where George W. Bush claims to come from (actually it’s Greenwich, Connecticut), they call cocaine “Texas booger sugar.”

And I learned (actually relearned; I must have known it once) that Bush campaigned in 2000 as “a reformer with results.” Six years later that has a poignant and terrible ring to it, doesn’t it?

Posted by Jerome Doolittle at February 15, 2007 09:28 PM

Comments

Ya gotta hand it to Bush's handlers. They have done a tremendous job of identifying Bush as a Texan in the eyes of the American public.

Posted by: SPIIDERWEB™ on February 16, 2007 1:26 AM

I saw that show. And I remember a cold chill coming over me when Maher was fired, because it was the first (for me) really serious alarm going off in my head as a country we were sliding downhill uncontrollably.

Posted by: Bendra on February 16, 2007 9:08 AM

What about George Carlin? He doesn't do as much politics as Maher but when he does he's right on. And of course the great Gary Trudeau. Come to think of it, all our greatest philosophers these days are clowns.

Posted by: PSymbol on February 16, 2007 3:45 PM

You want reform? How about tax cuts that gave us six years of economic boom times. You want results? How about four years with no terrorist attacks on the homeland?

Posted by: Nugatory on February 16, 2007 9:51 PM

How about that: before Junior Bush there were more than 200 years without terrorist attacks on the homeland. Pretty conclusive, isn't it?

Posted by: Peter on February 17, 2007 5:39 AM