April 05, 2006
A Trip Down Memory Lane

It’s nice to go back on this blog and look at how much Jerry Doolittle got right, even before the war in Iraq started. You will be amazed at how right Jerry was about so much. For instance, this entry, posted by Jerry seems to have been more than prescient. If you haven’t already done so, go back and examine our archives from 2002 and 2003. I can’t take any credit for any of it, because most of the very best stuff was posted long before I got here.

memory lane.jpg

Posted by Buck Batard at April 05, 2006 12:53 PM

Comments

Buck,

Great picture! Can I ask where you got it? I'm looking around for cool motorcycle pictures and haven't come across this one.

Posted by: Mike on April 5, 2006 2:39 PM

It was in the google photo archive.

I think I punched in "Down Memory Lane" and it was deep into the archive, something like 7 or 8 pages into the photos.

Posted by: Buck on April 5, 2006 3:08 PM

Wait, here's the page.

Posted by: Buck on April 5, 2006 3:11 PM

Buck,

Thanks for the link!

Mike

Posted by: Mike on April 5, 2006 8:57 PM

This vehicle with sidecar should fit the bill in case Buck's "fake oil crisis" theory doesn't pan out.

Posted by: Hoffmann on April 6, 2006 7:30 AM

Posted by: Hoffmann on April 6, 2006 7:32 AM

Oh no. If I'm wrong, I'll take the full punishment. I'll be the one that pedals, or maybe just carry the rickshaw. All my Bad Attitude friends can take a turn and holler up front at me "we toldya so".

Posted by: Buck on April 6, 2006 8:29 AM

Egad, Buck, you've just solved the "oil crisis"; you will be appointed Secretary of the Department of Rickshaw Mobilization--overseeing the rickshaw pullers immigration identification/visa program. a "win-win" for full employment in the USA.

Posted by: on April 6, 2006 8:45 AM

The accidentally-anonymous above comment was my forecast. Hoffmann

Posted by: Hoffmann on April 6, 2006 8:50 AM

Hoffman, I'm not sure it will pan out that way. I think it will turn out like this: Many us will be trying to sneak into China to be rickshaw pullers so we can send money back home.

Posted by: Buck on April 6, 2006 9:05 AM

Well, I used to think that too, Buck; until I reconsidered how there will need to be multiple rickshaws and pullers for absolutely every USA suburban inhabited [remaining] homesite. those too embarrassed or class-conscious to enter the rickshaw pullers employment in their homeland might do well to slip into some overseas country, Europe, possibly the Far East, as you suggest.

Posted by: Hoffmann on April 6, 2006 9:34 AM

Amending my above comment slightly; NOT "absolutely every...homesite." The five percent or so of very wealthy American suburban families will still easily afford $25 dollar/gallon gasoline for their SUVs. Consider, we will additionally require rickshaw pullers to deliver all the food from farm locations to end-consumers; rickshaws needed for medical essentials, home-schooling necessaries (maybe even books; as we don't know for sure whether Internet citizen reception will be allowed by the government), to move bureaucrats and clerics to their clients, weddings and funeral officials and purveyors, etc., everywhere there are not extant railroad networks.

Posted by: Hoffmann on April 6, 2006 9:49 AM

We've ripped up a lot of those old railroad lines in the last few years to create greenbelts, hiking paths, etc., which ought to be perfect for suburban rickshaw lines. And think how svelte the rickshaw pullers would get!

For myself, I think I'll invest in a horse farm.

Posted by: Joyful Alternative on April 6, 2006 10:01 AM